Monday, July 16, 2012

The Origin of My Pen Name, and WHY it is Called a Pen Name

Yes, I know; that was a very long post title. But now you all know what I'm going to be talking about, so you can skip this post if you wish, UNLESS you are one of the people who has sent me emails about revealing my pen name. I am going to tell you all about it.
Let's start from the beginning.
In the beginning, there was nothing. Then, an explosion called the Big Bang Theory...no, sorry, too early.
Let's try this again, assuming that the Universe was magically created somehow.
Anyway, a girl sat at her computer, attempting to begin a blog. However, she lacked one thing:
A pen name.
As the girl sat there, considering different names to use to disguise her real ones, her eyes fell upon a Harry Potter book.
Struck with inspiration, the girl flicked through the book...
Okay, you know what? Let's just skip that. I chose Hermione after Hermione Granger, as some of you may know. Others who haven't read the books* are probably unaware of who she is, but never mind that.
Several months later, the girl had received two or three emails asking what her real name was. For no apparent reason at all, just curiosity. Therefore, she decided to make this post, explaining why she couldn't reveal her real name.
And now, here we are, and I am making this post, explaining why I can't reveal my pen name.
When someone has a pen name, it is so that they don't have to reveal their real name. A pen name is what you use when you write/blog something for the world to see--i is, of course, entirely optional. Anyway, I used a pen name to cover up for my real name, so that it wouldn't have to be revealed. So, by revealing my real name, that would be completely defying the purpose of a pen name
So please, don't ask me about my real name again.
TTFN!!! (Comment if you know what this stands for and what awesomely awesome character says it!)
Hermione

*READ THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. OOh Tigger says Ta-ta-for-now! :D

    You tell 'em girl. They should respect your decision and stop hounding you about your real name. Like you said, a pen name is so you don't reveal you real name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gr8 post. I've just recently followed your blog and love it!
    A follow for a follow?
    www.bookblogandstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooooooooooooo much!!! I'm always SO happy to have a new follower and to get a comment like that!
      And I will, of course, follow your blog in return. :D

      Delete
  3. A pen name's purpose if for people not to know your real name so why should they ask you for your real name? You're completely right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've given you the Toujou Blogger award. (:
    http://seanajvixen.blogspot.com/2012/08/im-toujou-blogger-yes-i-am-im-toujou.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I always LOVE to hear what my readers have to say, and it would make my day if you would comment! I'm sure you all know what's accepted and what's not, so I'm not going to bug you with a bunch of rules. Pretty much keep it clean, no profanity, and no flaming. Thanks!
Hermione