Saturday, March 23, 2013

Guest Post by Hilda!

Hello, everyone! So I recently held a contest offering the prize of a guest post. Hilda won that contest, and here is her guest post. Take it away, Hilda!
*~*~*
Hey everyone! Thanks to Hermione for picking my entry. I am truly grateful. :D

So here is my guest post for today. I cannot take credit for this short story and I don’t know who the author is, but I translated as best I could from hispanomagazine.com. I wanted to share it with all of you because it’s so beautiful. It left me speechless when I first heard it. So here it goes."

Chinese Legend

It has been told back in the year 250 A.C., in ancient China, a prince of the north region of the country was about to be crowned Emperor, but according to the law, he must marry. Knowing this, he decided to hold a competition for the women of the court to see which would be worthy to be his wife.

The next day, the prince announced that in a special ceremony he will receive eligible maidens and hold a contest. An old servant woman who worked in the palace for many years heard the news. She was so distressed over her daughter because she knew her daughter was deeply in love with the prince. Once she arrived home and told he daughter the news, she was shocked to hear that she wanted to be at the ceremony.

With doubt she asked her, “My daughter, what will you do there? All the most beautiful and rich ladies will be there. Take that idea out of your head. I know you must be suffering, but do not let your suffering lead you to insanity.”

And the daughter replied, “No, my dear mother, I am not suffering and I am not crazy either. I know that I will never be chosen, but it is my opportunity for at least a few moments to be close to the prince. This would give me joy.”

At night the young girl arrived at the palace. All the most beautiful maidens were there, with the most gorgeous clothes, with the most gorgeous jewels and with the most determined intentions.

Then, at last, the prince announced the rules of the contest. “I’ll give each one of you a seed. Whoever brings me the most beautiful flower in 6 months will be chosen by me, a wife and Empress of China.”

The rules of the prince followed its tradition of that village, of proudly specializing in cultivating something which are traditions, friendship, relationships, etc.

The time had passed and the sweet girl, who had no ability in the arts of gardening, she took great love and patience taking care of her seed and knowing that if the seed grew and bloomed like her love, she would have no worries with the results. Three months had passed and nothing bloomed. The young girl tried all methods to get it to sprout but nothing worked. Day by day she saw her dreams far away, but her love was more profound.

At last, 6 months had passed and nothing sprouted. Aware of her hard work and dedication the young girl told her mother that no matter the circumstances she will return to the palace on the day and hour announced just to be close to the prince for a few moments. On that announced hour she was there, with her empty pot. All the other maidens had a flower bloomed, each one more beautiful than the other, of the most variable forms and colors. She was amazed. Never had she seen a scene so beautiful.

Finally the moment had come, and the prince observed every maiden with lots of care and attention. After looking over the maidens, one by one, he announced the results. That young girl with her empty pot shall be his future wife. The rest of the participants had unexpected reactions. No one could understand why he justly chose her who had not cultivated anything.

And for that, the prince calmly replied, “She was the only one who cultivated the flower which dignifies her to convert to Empress: the flower of honesty.  All the seeds I handed out are sterile.”

7 comments:

  1. Yay!!! thanks Hermione!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I knew that the girl would end up with him from the beginning but I didn't see that twist coming!!! Great story, thanks for sharing and I didn't know you were Spanish, sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? i was getting sad for the girl until she was chosen. Yaaay!! So happy you enjoyed it!

      My pleasure! :) I was born here in the US but my parents are Mexican. My parents taught us Spanish as we were growing up.

      Delete
    2. No I'm pretty solid... lame joke, sorry.

      Yes. Just the basic easy conversational Spanish because when my parents watch TV in Spanish, there are some words that are too high for me to understand.

      Delete
  3. I had that little feeling she'd end up with the prince, but I didn't think it would be like that! Wow!

    Nice work, Hilda! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was such a surprise. Thanks but I can't take credit for the story. :) But I'm thrilled you enjoyed it.

      Delete

Hi! I always LOVE to hear what my readers have to say, and it would make my day if you would comment! I'm sure you all know what's accepted and what's not, so I'm not going to bug you with a bunch of rules. Pretty much keep it clean, no profanity, and no flaming. Thanks!
Hermione