Saturday, January 12, 2013

Les Miserables Movie Review

I have just returned from my second viewing of Les Miserables, my favorite musical of all time.
Wow.
It was amazing. The cast, songs, sets, costumes, camera shots, props--everything. I loved it. It went above and beyond my expectations. I was skeptical at first, but after watching all of the trailers I assumed my star rating would be around a 3.8.
I was wrong.
Not only did I cry for a significantly large portion of the 2 hours and thirty-seven minutes, I also felt so...uplifted at the end. Since it's really not enough just to review the overall movie, I'm going to give the individual cast members a review.

Hugh Jackman (Jean Valjean): Spectacular. He had worked hard on the acting as anyone could tell. He was able to have that completely sunken look--achieved by going without water for 36 hours!!!--that fit Valjean as a prisoner. I understand this was supposed to be about acting, but I wish he had tried a little harder with the vocals--mainly on "Bring Him Home". I wasn't as moved by that song as I have been with other Valjeans.

Anne Hathaway (Fantine): Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Her acting was just...wow. And her singing brought so many emotions. I have no doubt in my mind that there wasn't a better choice for Fantine.

Eddie Redmayne (Marius): This was a job very well done. He did his role remarkably well--and even sort of looked the part! Of course, I'm always kind of mad at Marius...ignoring Eponine like that! How dare he!

Colm Wilkinson (Bishop): Yes, he was a small part, but I feel he deserved a mention. For those of you who don't know, Colm Wilkinson was the original Jean Valjean. And, although he was a small part, I felt very moved by his performance. And especially when they brought him in at the end...wow.

Amanda Seyfried (Cosette): She was good. Her acting was great, but when she sang, although she had a nice voice, she tended to trill a bit too much.

Samantha Barks (Eponine): Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. Acting: brilliant. Left me bawling. Singing: Spectacular. She just...amazing. Truly amazing.

Russell Crowe (Javert): I left this one for last, because I have some very big thoughts on this. Okay, so in every review I have read, they hated Russell Crowe. No one had a kind word to spare. One particularly nasty review asked him why he was "trying to sing through a mouth full of Wonder Bread".
Now my thoughts:
This man, Russell Crowe, was................................................................................... PHENOMENAL. The best Javert I have ever seen, and I have seen many. When he sang "Stars", I was so moved...I don't know where to begin. I'll admit it; I didn't really think he could do it. Javert is a harder part to play than you'd think. But, boy, he DID IT. He expressed Javert's emotions perfectly, and left me in tears. But there's a particular scene...
...a scene that just so happens to be my favorite before the movie came out...
...that was...
Amazing.
Spectacular.
Brilliant.
Phenomenal.
Awe-inspiring.
Wonderul.
Terrific.
Tremendous.
Fantastic.
Marvelous.
Extraordinary.
Magnificent.
Outstanding.
And none of these are even close to describing just how good it was.
My favorite scene is (spoiler alert!) "Javert's Suicide." It was just...it was....I felt...I still can't think of the right word. I know Russell Crowe will never read this, but if he were to, I would tell him this: Don't listen to the critics. Ignore the hate. You, sir, moved me in such a way that was unbelievable. Your performance changed me. Thank you.

Was that corny? Well,if it was it doesn't matter, because I meant every word.
I'm sorry, but I must leave and go rethink my whole life.
See ya!
Hermione

20 comments:

  1. Wow, you really did love the movie. So glad you did. :) I never watched the movie or read the book, so I don't know what it is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the story takes place at the time of the revolution. We see prisoner 24601 aka Jean Valjean, a man imprisoned for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread and then running from his crime. Javert announces that he is now put on parole. He gives Valjean his papers, which state that he is a man of crime, making it a difficult task for Valjean to find work. After sitting out in the cold with no food or a place to stay, a kind bishop invites him in, giving him food and shelter. However, as everyone is sleeping, Valjean sneaks downstairs and steals some valuable silver. He is caught, and brought before the Bishop. Valjean claims that the Bishop gave him the silver, and the Bishop utters three words: "That is right." Valjean is released, and the Bishop gives him two candlesticks as a symbol to show that Valjean is now an honest man. Valjean breaks his parole.

      Fast forward nine years, and we come across Fantine, the poor, starving factory girl. When her fellow workers come across a letter telling Fantine that her secret daughter (whose father left them), she is reported to the foreman, who fires her. Meanwhile, Jean Valjean has taken on the name "Monsieur Madeline", the mayor of the town that Fantine lives in. After a runaway cart land on a poor man, Valjean lifts it up, not realizing he is being watched by Inspector Javert. Javert sees Valjean's great strength and is reminded of prisoner 24601. Javert gapes at him, then apologizes, saying "I have only known one other who could do what you have done..." and then reveals that they believe to have found "the real Jean Valjean". Valjean is not sure what to do.
      In desperation for money, Fantine has sold her hair and locket, and become a prostitute. When a man attacks her, she slaps him, drawing blood. Javert then comes ready to arrest Fantine, until Valjean arrives. He realizes he had been in the factory at the time Fantine was fired, and did nothing. Instead of arresting her, he brings her to the hospital. After this, Valjean realizes that an innocent man will be going to judgement in his place, so he hurries to the courtroom and declares himself to be Jean Valjean. When he returns to the hospital, Fantine is dying, and he promises that her daughter will live in his protection forever. Fantine dies as Javert walks in. They duel until Valjean knocks Javert out. He escapes to the inn of M. and Mme. Thernadier and tells them he needs to take Cosette. They make him pay, but he agrees. He leads Cosette off, not knowing just how much their lives will change.

      That was the first half, but the second contains a lot of spoilers, so I'm not going to write it!

      Delete
    2. Whoa!! :O Thanks for the info. It sounds so sad. :(

      Delete
    3. It is, but the end is very uplifting. I would recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I seem to be the only person who has not seen this film. Next weekend, I am going to rectify this xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayy!! Les Miserables! I don't think I'm as much of a devoted fan as you are but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and did my fair share of crying. I haven't read the novel yet but plan to. Gotta agree that Marius did make me a tad angry, just totally paying no attention to Eponine. I also enjoyed Russel Crowe's performance. And wow, going 36 hours without water...!!!! Did Hugh Jackamn have a fake beard on for the prisonor part? And the Bishop is so incredibly kind, to give Valjean his precious silver. Although her part wasn't that large, I really liked Isabelle Allen, young Cosette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the book as well, but I plan to ;). I'm not quite sure about the beard, though he probably wore a fake one (it would seem rather uncomfortable, though). Ah, the Bishop. He is really where the story comes from, when you consider it. And Isabelle Allen--adorable! And her voice was just right for the role--not too high, not too annoying, you get the idea.

      Delete
  4. I am literally dying to see Les Misérables. Literally!! This review makes me want to see it even more.
    I am nominating you for the "Cute Blog Award" and further details can be found on my blog. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I'm glad my review was able to influence you in that way!!! Thanks for the award!

      Delete
  5. WOW! I loved your review! I was begging my mom to let me see it, but she wouldn't let me because of the prostitution thing. I'm still working on her though, she HAS to let me go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my review! And about the prostitution, there are mature gestures, I suppose you might say, but no nudity in the slightest. I hope you get to go!

      Delete
  6. I actually might be seeing this tomorrow and I literally can't wait as I've been dying to see it for such a long time. Best review I've ever come across. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Squeals* I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as I did!!! And waht you said about my review was so sweet--thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. I saw it today and oh my God, it was phenomenal. Breath taking, emotional - it is hard to put into words. Thank you for making see it.

      Delete
    3. I also did a review on the movie so you can check it out by going to this link - http://welcometomypalace1998.blogspot.ie/2013/01/les-miserables-review.html

      I'm also seeing it again tomorrow as a first year outing for school and I can't wait.

      Delete
    4. I'll check out your review right now!

      Delete

Hi! I always LOVE to hear what my readers have to say, and it would make my day if you would comment! I'm sure you all know what's accepted and what's not, so I'm not going to bug you with a bunch of rules. Pretty much keep it clean, no profanity, and no flaming. Thanks!
Hermione